Between October 2017 and April 2018, Canada 2067 is conducting a series of one-day Regional Youth Summits for Grade 9 and 10 students in Western, Central and Eastern Canada.
- Vancouver – October 24, 2017
- Toronto – November 15, 2017
- Montreal – To be confirmed
- Calgary – March 1, 2018
- St. John’s – April 26, 2018
Each Summit will bring together approximately 300 students from the region to help shape the Canada 2067 Learning Framework and explore the future of learning, innovation, discovery and work.
The day-long event features:
- STEM Talks from youth and professional speakers
- Breakout groups of students collaborating in a STEM related challenge
Each event will kick-off with STEM Talks – a series of dynamic speakers of all ages who will each deliver short pitches about the future of their field with the goal of captivating the audience and inspiring them to imagine new career possibilities. These speakers will be livestreamed online for students and teachers tuning in across the country.
Following the STEM talks, participating students will be divided into smaller working teams to collaborate, create and design solutions to challenges related to STEM education. Student participation in the workshops will generate student-centric solutions and insights that, along with other voices from the community, will shape the vision and action plan for the future of STEM learning in Canada.
The STEM talk speakers are a collective of individuals representing some of the many fascinating careers that exist in the world of STEM. Each Youth Summit will feature unique speakers from that region of the country, discussing their field and career paths. The more variety the better!
Here’s a sneak peek at a few of the dynamic speakers inspiring audiences at the Vancouver and Toronto summits:
- Moderator – Jon Woodward – Reporter, CTV News
- Dr. Jennifer Gardy – Assistant Professor, School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia
- Margarita Marinova – Senior Mars and Vehicle Systems Development Engineer, SpaceX
- Rohan Nuttall – Global Shapers Vancouver, Youth Speaker
- Katharine Scotton – Environmental Consultant, PGL Environmental Consultants
- Kelly Shkuratoff – Senior Manager, Salesforce
- Alex Gillis – Chief Operating Officer, Spot Systems
- Moderator – Mark Saltzman – Technology Speaker & Journalist
- Justin Cembal – Sound Designer, LoveCraft Sound
- Jeremy Hansen – Astronaut, Canadian Space Agency
- Leigha Mitchell – Software Developer, Hubba
- Mike McDonald – Founder/Executive Director, Recess Guardians
- Andrea Palmer – CEO, Awake Labs
Canada 2067 is partnering with school boards across the country to engage principals and teachers in the Youth Summits in their region. Participation can take place in person at the events and online via livestream.
In order to participate in person at the events, students will be nominated by their teachers and represent criteria such as:
- gender, ethnicity (Canadians and newcomers), socio-economic background and modes of accessibility
- diverse backgrounds, and with unique interests that extend beyond STEM
- leadership and community/school involvement
These events will encourage multidisciplinary thinking, engaging students to share their creative solutions and foster new ways of thinking.
For more information or to find out how you can support Canada 2067:
Can’t attend in person?
Have no fear. Select portions of the agenda will be livestreamed. Stay tuned for more information.